Thursday, February 23, 2012

Arthur Rackham ~ Imagina ~ Mermaids & Faerie Folk ~ 1914

Have you ever seen these illustrations? Both are from Julia Ellsworth Ford's Imagina, a story for children incorporating three poems, with two beautiful color illustrations by Arthur Rackham, and many line drawings executed by Julia's daughter, Lauren Ford.

Imagina was published in 1914 by Duffield and Company (New York). Earlier this evening is the first time I've ever seen these images. Click on the title link to see all of the illustrations in their original context.

Click the images posted here to view them in great detail.

Coming Soon: More Surprising Images from Arthur Rackham.





Arthur Rackham ~ 1914
Imagina by Julia Ellsworth Ford
New York: Duffield & Company

"Please, Mermaid, come out where it is sunny."






Arthur Rackham ~ 1914
Imagina by Julia Ellsworth Ford
New York: Duffield & Company

Frontispiece ~ Faerie Folk



I almost, almost think I've seen the bottom image before, but there is so much majesty in the tree and the confidence in the fairy who must be queen, I'm sure it's evoking other wonderful Rackham images. I love the moon in the background, and the subtlety of the color in the nightime scene.

The quality of sunlight filtering through the water, the shimmer of the mermaid's hair, and Rackham's ability to portray their strength and bouyancy, their individuality, and their pure joy as they swim, unstung and free with the jellyfish, makes this one of my favorite Rackham mermaid paintings.

I also enjoy it because it seems he must have had a lot of fun painting it, employing his expert skills with watercolor, while accepting any imperfections as lending to the freedom of the composition, which I find to be perfectly balanced in shape, color, tone, and movement.

Welcome, new and old followers. Please leave your comments.

Note: I've discovered why these images are familiar/not familiar to me. My friend, Thom, at The Pictorial Arts, posted them last June in a post titled Delicious. I even commented on them, so you know that I both love them, and I stayed up entirely too late last night. It is very difficult for me to find an image Thom does not know about. Visit The Pictorial Arts for an amazing archive of golden age illustration and comic book art, with lively dialogue in the comments from artists, illustrators and fans.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,

    Oh, I don't take enough time to organize and source the material I blog, like I should. It's the librarian in you that makes sourcing and attributions abundantly clear, and I admire that. When I post something, I just toss it up there. I am just so in love with images that sometimes I post in a state of delirium.

    What you've been posting has been wonderful. Thanks for all your effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thom,

      Thank you! Delirium- I don't think so. I've been introduced to wonderful artists, illustrators, and images because of your blogs. You always name the artist and the year, and have something of value to say about the work or the process or the person behind the image, or you add a cultural or historical perspective. With illustrations, I do like to know the name of the story or book, because the image and narrative work so closely together, but I always "forgive" you for any omissions, because the images alone are so compelling, and with the test of time, the ones you choose to post can stand alone. Thank you for all you do!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful work: hers and yours!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this is is a beautiful blog. I'm a self-taught artist and I've been fascinated by the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood paintings and Art Noveau drawings--and I thought those have been by best inspirations. I never thought that the style I've been really aspiring to follow is this type of drawings from the Golden Age of Illustration. Those fairy tale books I used to copy drawings from had these type of illustrations--I felt like this blog just opened long locked drawers from my memory. I never had a name for the Faerie illustrator till today. Rackham's work beautifully decorated my childhood. Thank you for making this blog, I hope this will continue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you. I love sharing amazing art from the turn of the nineteenth century. I also love Art Nouveau and Pre-Raphaelite artists. If you haven't yet, if you click on the label, Arthur Rackham, below the post you'll find two other posts here at Art of Narrative. If you follow the links from the articles you'll see even more of Arthur Rackham's work. I do plan to post many more articles, but it's a busy time for me, and my posts have slowed. I'm glad you found me, and I appreciate your encouragement. You may also enjoy Edmund Dulac and Kay Nielsen, among many other golden age illustrators. "Long locked drawers from your memory" is such a beautiful image. Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete
  4. Julia was my great grandmother. She was a fascinating person from what I have found from relatives.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts.